Like humans, a healthy lifestyle is a critical component of pet health and a key to longevity. Tips to keep your pet healthy:
• Work with your veterinarian to find the best diet for your pet. Overweight pets have a higher risk of health concerns like diabetes and liver disease.
• Stay on a monthly preventative for parasites like heartworm, fleas and ticks. It’s far easier to prevent heartworm than treat it.
• Start an oral hygiene regimen. Brush your pet’s teeth regularly to prevent tartar buildup, which can cause infections in the body.
• Regularly groom your pet to keep his coat healthy.
– Dr. Melisse Conway, SPCA Tampa Bay Veterinary Center